Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Lifespan of an Invitation Design, Part 1: Getting the Sketch Right

As I build up my portfolio, I'm making a few sample invites to show my style and ideas. These aren't real couples (although they could be!) but different composites and images I made up. Here, I'll show you how I go from idea to a completed invite.

Aaaand, perfect for 82 degree weather: a winter wedding!

The inspiration was this beautiful spread in Martha Stewart Weddings. I loved the couple on skis, the beautiful backdrop, the bride's awesome faux-fur jacket.


Step one: assemble the supplies: pencil, paper.

Bachelorette.*


All of my drawings are done on watercolor paper, inked with waterproof ink, and painted with watercolors. But first, I like to sketch things out on scrap paper.

You start with the head...


Torsos


Legs. I don't hate this, but the skis are a pain in the neck.


Probably I could have kept it as is if I wasn't adding skis, but they make a whole new world of annoyances.


But that's why it's called scrap paper! Here's version 2.


With the couple side by side, the perspective looks less wonky.


Full bodies.


And the faces. Even though the faces are very simple, nothing more than four or five lines, they can be tricky to get exactly right. There's an incredible amount of suggestion in very slight changes, and if I'm not lucky enough to get it right on the first go, I always end up erasing and redoing the faces several times. If they're not perfect, you might as well start from scratch.


Some background.


And a detail of the faces and torso. It doesn't look great yet, since this is just a quick sketch, but it's enough of an idea to give me a guideline to work with.


Next step: drawing on the watercolor paper.


I draw (very faint) guidelines on the page, making a cross where the couple's faces will go. This tells me the page is centered, and the faces are the focus of the image.


Ladies first.


And the groom.


And the background.


Here's the side-by-side comparison between where I started and where I ended. It's a big change!


I call it quits for the night (the Bachelorette having long made her poor relationship decisions). Next, I ink. Check back later in the week for The Lifespan of an Invitation Design, Part 2: Adding the Ink.

By the way: if you're interested in your own custom invites from me, this drawing is the "proof." It has the flexibility to make any changes, but is clear enough to see where the design is going.


*I know all the tabloids are saying she ends up with JP, but I'm rooting for Ben, the nice, nerdy vineyard owner. But don't you think she's sort of jinxed? Every time she says something like "But how much do you reeeally like me?" I just hear *sad trombone* wamp waahmp...

No comments:

Post a Comment